Find Tecumseh starters and parts by OEM part number in the starter parts list below.
|About Tecumseh Starters:
Starters used on Tecumseh engines vary from pull
cord recoil styles used as the only starting method
on most smaller displacement engines; to 12 volt
and 120 volt electric starters used on larger
displacement engines. Many larger engines also
incorporate both styles. In both recoil and electric
starters there are numerous designs used on
various Tecumseh engine models.
The main components of the recoil starter are:
- The housing which usually bolts on to the engine
shroud on most Tecumseh engines.
- A starter pulley that serves as a means of guiding
and rewinding the pull rope.
- A coiled rewind spring that attaches to both the
starter pulley and housing; and provides force
though spring tension to retract the pull rope.
- A casing attached to both the starter pulley and
housing though the center which holds the starter
pawls. Starter pawls serve as hooks that catch the
starter cup which is bolted to the flywheel and
provide a mechanical connection between the
starter and the crankshaft.
- A starter pull cord rope that is available in many
sizes based on the size of the engine.
- A starter handle which attaches to the outer end
of the pull cord rope and is also available in many
shapes and sizes.
The main components of electric starters are:
- The housing which is either cylindrical or
irregular square shaped and serves to hold the
other components of the starter. Some housings
bolt to the engine crankcase though an external
bracket while others have bolt holes built into the
- A shaft and armature that passes through the
housing and both end caps.
- Starter brushes and spring loaded holder that
attaches to the housing and allows the brushes to
contact the armature.
- A spring loaded gear mechanism that extends
and retracts the gear to engage the starter with the
ring gear on the flywheel.
- An attached switch, plug and cable that is only
used on 120 volt models.
Repair of both styles of Tecumseh starters
depends on individual experience and capabilities;
however replacement of the entire starter on
Tecumseh engines is not a complicated procedure.
For more information on Tecumseh starter repair
and model application refer to the parts lookup
and repair manuals sections on our site.
Tecumseh Parts Lookup
Tecumseh Repair Manuals